Re: [LUG] Xperia Ray and Wifi

On 04/04/12 09:48, Neil Winchurst wrote:
On 02/04/12 16:38, Julian Hall wrote:
Curious.  In my last reply I'd pretty much discounted that as the phone
worked fine before the update.  If it *is* the router it's more likely
something with the way the updated OS communicates with the router
rather than the router itself.

It will be interesting to see if it stays connected to your son's router
all day.

Oh. Final thought.  What security is there on your router?  I just
thought that if your router is secured, as I'm sure it is, that the
phone might be having issues with renegotiating the connection
periodically.  Is it possible - and I freely admit operating an
unsecured wireless connection is not recommended for long periods - for
you to try with an open connection and see if it still drops?  If you're
not comfortable leaving the connection open to test it I completely
understand, it was just a thought :)

Julian

Yesterday, 3rd April. I tried again by resetting the router. The phone
immediately connected to the wifi and stayed there for over an hour.
Wonderful. Then I moved to another room where the signal is not so good
and it all dropped out. Then we were back to the connect/disconnect
cycle again.

This coming weekend will be the definitive test. If I find that it works
fine at my sons's house I will have three choices.

1 Try a different router.

2 Try to find what is failing on the phone or the router and correct it.

3 Replace the phone with a different make. (Other makes also seem to
have the same problem sometimes).

With version 4 of Android being prepared for the Xperia range I can't
see anything being done Gingerbread by Google or Sony.

Incidentally my daughter in law has an Xperia Arc phone (mine is an
Xperia Ray) so it will be useful to discuss all this with her.

I will report back.

have a good Easter

Neil

have you tried any of the wifi apps for android, wifi fixer for example? I googled "android app for maintaing wifi connection" and found quite a few.

Si