Re: [LUG] Distros (WAS: Looking for a new printer)

On 14/12/11 19:25, bad apple wrote:
> On 14/12/11 08:51, Neil Winchurst wrote:
>> That is very interesting. I used kubuntu for many years but now I use
>> Mint. Is that any better, even though it is based on Ubuntu?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Neil
>>
> Well, all of this is only my personal opinion, but for what it's worth:
>
> Well, sorry for the essay, that somehow got a lot longer than it was
> supposed to. That might have something to do with the two trashed Mac
> workstations sitting next to me awaiting recovery and complete rebuild
> and I *loathe* everything Apple, which is probably why I've spent most
> of my afternoon prevaricating on mailing lists rather than working.
>
> Would welcome any responses, particularly as distro choice is suddenly a
> hot topic again.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mat

Well, I certainly didn't expect all that response (I have clipped a lot
of it to save space), but thanks for all the info. As you say, choice of
distro is suddenly becoming important again.

I have never used Gnome, so I have mostly stuck with Kubuntu or Mint
KDE. Lately I have been looking at several distros, including Fedora,
BSD, Puppy, Centos, Pardus, Suse and others. Some of them I have on VBox
and some of them I just looked at the live CD version. Perhaps I should
mention that on my laptop I have Mint Xfce.

At the moment I am considering waiting for Kubuntu 12.04 due out next
April. I am used to KDE and it is going to be supported for five years.
I have also looked at Xubuntu, via VBox and that seems pretty good for
my needs. I know Xfce quite well and I like it.

But, as you say, there is no longer an automatic choice of distro. This
is proving to be quite a headache so any advice is very welcome.

Regards

Neil