Re: [LUG] Looking for a new printer

 On 10/12/2011 13:07, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Sat, 10 Dec 2011, Julian Hall wrote:

As I have said my router does not have a USB port. However I have noticed mention of some printers being able to link to one of the ethernet ports on the router. Is that a good idea, or am I not understanding what I read?

Regards

Neil

Some do have Ethernet ports, however they tend to be aimed at the business market with a price tag to match. Your first thought of the WiFi enabled printer is probably the best one :)

Which is bizarre as the hardware for Ethernet is cheaper than that for Wi-Fi and it's less software required to drive it.

My wifes HP PhotoSmart multifunction printer/scanner/copier/card reader cost about £89 and came with Ethernet and USB ports - it's now 3-4 years old.

Gordon
I think the logic goes that businesses want networked printers for the office while home users don't need it. Very old thinking but I think still prevalent.

Julian