Re: [LUG] Looking for a new printer

On 09/12/11 11:34, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> My current printer is over 5 years old, although it still works quite
> well (Epson Stylus Photo 810). I am wondering if it is reaching its sell
> by date so I have been looking around the internet for some ideas about
> a replacement. What a nightmare! There are so many printers around it is
> just crazy. So what do I use my printer for?
>
> Occasional print of a photograph. I have recently joined the local
> photographic society so I will probably be wanting to do a bit more
> photo printing now. I also do like a reasonable result when printing text.
>
> I am not interested in fax, duplex or anything larger than A4. However
> my wife has her computer in another room so I have the set-up for her to
> send print instructions to my computer via the wifi which means that my
> computer and printer have to both be switched on before it works. So I
> would like a printer which has wifi or some other way of connecting to
> the router.
>
> Incidentally my router, Netgear DG834G does have wifi, of course, but
> does not have a USB port. So far it seems that the makes to consider are
> either Epson or HP.
>
> So please, people, before my brain explodes with researching any more
> printer sites, any recommendations for me?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Neil Winchurst

Definitely just get a HP - they've screwed up WebOS, HPUX, OpenVMS and
just about everything else they've ever owned but they can still do one
thing properly: make printers. All-in-one models are so cheap these days
they practically fall out of your cereal box in the morning but as
another poster pointed out, try and get one with multiple colour
cartridges because the consumables are ruinously expensive. Also, being
HP, the printer will lie to you about it's ink levels.

If you do get a wifi one (they're pretty much all wifi enabled now) make
sure you lock it down - on pen tests I routinely see these things
connected and wide-open on default settings. Once you've cracked the
WEP/WPA layer it's fun to send "all your networks are belong to us"
print jobs in 60 point font just to rub it in...

Regards,

Mat