Re: [LUG] Looking for a new printer

On Sat 10 Dec 2011 17:59:39 GMT, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Sat, 10 Dec 2011, Neil Winchurst wrote:

When I started this thread what I hoped for was something like 'I have
used printer xyz for a while now, it is great (or possibly, don't go
near it)'.

;-)

I have used an HP Colour Laserjet (4600C) for 8 years now, it's great, but expensive to run.

Wifey has an HP PhotoSmart 2570 - which has seen use for the past 3 (maybe more) years. Cheap and cheerful with lots (and lots!) of features. Works a treat under Linux (after the initial battles with Gnome & CUPS) Even sane can see it over Ethernet for scanning.

They're basically at opposite ends of the scale though, and neither is currently being made (that I'm aware of).

Gordon

HP or Brother, most work good under linux and have drivers and with HP additional software. Otherwise yer gets what yer pays for. My HP photosmart 8450 has always been great and mother's Brother MFC-255CW printer/scanner also works well, though the drivers need to be installed (*.rpm and *.deb are available). Both over network, not plugged into the PC's.

ÐÐÐ