Re: [LUG] VirtualBox version

On 21/11/11 16:24, Neil Winchurst wrote:
However it looks as though I have made an error somewhere with the
kubuntu version. When I click on Devices, CD/DVD devices the guest
additions iso is ticked. When I put my memory stick into a USB port it
is found and opened up. However when I try Devices, Shared folders I get
an error window telling me that the additions do not appear to be
installed. I am advised to re-install them. When I click on Devices,
Install Guest Additions I am told that it is unable to mount the CD
image. One choice is Force Unmount. Can't see what that would do.

Did you run the install in the VM? Did everything work OK?

If the CD auto-mounted then it will be somewhere like /media/VBOXADDITIONS_$(VBOXVERSION)

The installer is VBoxLinuxAdditions.run, which must be run as root.

Typically there's a log file somewhere, such as /var/log/VBoxGuestAdditions.log which will tell you what went wrong.

I've had Guest Additions fail to install due to lack of kernel headers, and the wrong version of kernel headers (after a kernel upgrade), as well as lack of DKMS or even lack of gcc.

Anthony
--
Author of C++ Concurrency in Action     http://www.stdthread.co.uk/book/
just::thread C++0x thread library             http://www.stdthread.co.uk