Re: [LUG] VirtualBox version

On 19/11/11 19:27, bad apple wrote:

> I use VirtualBox very, very heavily all day, every day - it's a really
> great tool. Good news - it's about the only thing that Oracle haven't
> completely screwed up since taking over the late lamented Sun
> Microsystems (see: Solaris, Java, etc).
>
> I definitely recommend the 4.* series over the OSE edition. Unless you
> are a true free software Stallman-devotee just install the Oracle
> version (PUEL license vs GPL) and grab the extension pack to enable PXE
> boot, USB, etc. You're apparently on something Debian-based so make sure
> you use the proper apt repo from
> https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads rather than relying on
> your distribution to roll in the latest and greatest version.
>
> Definitely remove the previous version first. Your VMs will be intact
> and can be imported to the non-OSE version after install. Current
> version to get is:
>
> [mat@nihilist SRC]$ rpm -qa | grep -i virtualbox
> VirtualBox-4.1-4.1.6_74727_rhel6-1.x86_64
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mat

Further to my last email. I have researched further and I find that my
version 74727 is the most recent one for my distro, Maverick. So I have
removed the OSE version and installed the new version 4. As you said my
previous VM's were found, no problem. Because I use Ext4 there was a
warning about the cache, suggesting that I should enable the I/O cache
permanently, which I have done.

I do like the new version, thanks for the recommendation. All I have to
do now is to find our how to install the extension pack. Is that the
same as the guest additions?

Thanks again

Neil