Re: [LUG] VirtualBox version

More help, thanks again. I have now added the extension pack. I have
added myself to the VBox group as instructed. I could not get that to
work until I realised that I had to log out and in again. Now when I
click on Settings I don't get any messages about using USB. But I still
don't seem to be able to get a memory stick (put in a USB) port to be
found my VBox. It still appears on the host machine. I must have another
look at the help file.

Just right click on the little USB icon in the bottom right of your
guest systems VirtualBox window: you'll get a drop down showing all
host-attached USB devices that can have control transferred to the
guest. It's an all-or-nothing affair - the USB device will 'disappear'
from your host and 'appear' on the guest so don't do this with your USB
mouse or keyboard...

By the way, if the pack I have added is not the same as the guest
additions, should I have both installed? Thanks yet again Neil

Sorry, not sure I understand you here. Your VM guests should definitely
have the guest additions installed if they support them, as well as the
extensions pack being installed on the host. Both will need to be in
place for USB transfer to take place. Alternatively, if you just want to
take data from a USB thumb drive, etc, just mount it on the linux host
as usual and then use the Shared Folders tool in VirtualBox to map
/media/your-usb-thing across to the guest.

Cheers,

Mat