Re: [LUG] VirtualBox version

On 21/11/11 09:03, Anthony Williams wrote:
> On 21/11/11 08:53, Neil Winchurst wrote:
>> Regarding the guest additions, with my earlier version of VBox the guest
>> additions were extra to the main install and I never did get them
>> installed. Now with this new version I have added the extension pack,
>> which you have told be is not the same thing. What I am asking is, does
>> the extension pack do everything that the guest additions do? Or should
>> I search for and add the guest additions on top of the extension pack?
>> Or am I missing something here, very possible?
>
> The extension pack provides additional services from the host OS, such
> as connecting USB devices to the VM. It is installed once on the host.
>
> The guest additions are installed into each and every VM, and allow the
> VM to integrate better --- e.g. resize the VM screen when the window is
> resized, allow the mouse pointer to move seamlessly from inside the VM
> window to outside, and allow shared folders between the host and the VM.
>
> Anthony
Thanks for that. With much struggle and searching the internet for help
I have managed to install the guest additions on two of my VM's, at
least it appeared to go OK. However it does not look any different when
I run them. So how can I tell that they are indeed installed I wonder?
The mouse pointer for example always did move from guest to host without
any problems. And the VBox window does not look any different.

Puzzled,

Neil