Re: [LUG] VirtualBox version

bad apple wrote:

By the way, if the pack I have added is not the same as the guest
additions, should I have both installed? Thanks yet again

Neil

Sorry, not sure I understand you here. Your VM guests should definitely
have the guest additions installed if they support them, as well as the
extensions pack being installed on the host. Both will need to be in
place for USB transfer to take place. Alternatively, if you just want to
take data from a USB thumb drive, etc, just mount it on the linux host
as usual and then use the Shared Folders tool in VirtualBox to map
/media/your-usb-thing across to the guest.

Cheers,

Mat

I am not explaining myself very well. Earlier I asked if the extension pack which you suggested I should install was the same as the guest additions. You told me they are not the same. I have done just as you explained above and now when I put a memory stick in a USB drive while using VBox it appears there and not on the host.

I did that by going to settings, USB and clicking on the little icon for 'Add filter from device'. I had already put a memory stick in the USB port and it was found for me. I had to do that with each distro I have set up on VBox.

Regarding the guest additions, with my earlier version of VBox the guest additions were extra to the main install and I never did get them installed. Now with this new version I have added the extension pack, which you have told be is not the same thing. What I am asking is, does the extension pack do everything that the guest additions do? Or should I search for and add the guest additions on top of the extension pack? Or am I missing something here, very possible?

Thanks

Neil