Re: [LUG] VirtualBox version

On 20/11/11 14:05, bad apple wrote:

> Just grab it from here:
>
> http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.1.6/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.1.6-74713.vbox-extpack
>
> It's the same file for any host OS and you install it either through the
> preferences pane or just by dragging it and dropping it into the main
> GUI. It differs from the guest additions in that it's applied on the
> host, and adds some extra functionality (PXE, USB passthrough, etc) to
> all of the VMs you have. Annoyingly it doesn't update via the repos
> though so watch out for it when updating the main VirtualBox package:
> you'll have to manually grab and install the new extension pack every time.
>
> It seems that Ubuntu are pretty quick on rolling the latest version into
> their repos but I would still get the latest version directly from
> Oracle - you don't need to manually install a deb, they have their own
> VirtualBox repo hosted there. In short, add this to
> /etc/apt/sources.repos.d/vbox.repo:
>
> deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian maverick contrib
> non-free
>
> Get the signing key:
>
> wget -q http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/oracle_vbox.asc
> -O- | sudo apt-key add -
>
> And:
>
> sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install virtualbox-4.1
>
> Job done. Happy virtualising (don't forget to give KVM a spin though,
> it's even better - just don't try and use both at the same time).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mat

More help, thanks again. I have now added the extension pack. I have
added myself to the VBox group as instructed. I could not get that to
work until I realised that I had to log out and in again. Now when I
click on Settings I don't get any messages about using USB. But I still
don't seem to be able to get a memory stick (put in a USB) port to be
found my VBox. It still appears on the host machine. I must have another
look at the help file.

By the way, if the pack I have added is not the same as the guest
additions, should I have both installed?

Thanks yet again

Neil