Re: [LUG] Desktop trauma

On 16/11/11 02:24, David Hare wrote:
I ran Debian Sid for some years as main OS with no major problems but, finally defeated by KDE4, changed to Lenny. The gnome2 fiasco now is not so different.

Even those with spare £££'s for new hardware that can actually run this stuff don't want it!

I now run Trinity (mostly) and XFCE on Squeeze. Desktop trauma here is long-since solved.

TDE is actively maintained, 3.5.13 is just released. It got some excellent reviews and this month's "distrowatch" donation.

Since I hadn't looked at KDE4 for a while I installed Mint 10 Julia with KDE and I reckon it's got worse. I keep seeing reviews about how the latest version of KDE4 has got it dead right but not for me. I can get a desktop that looks as I want it except that I can find no way to place the icons at random. They are all lined up & sorted and that's the way they are going to stay. I can't make any sense out of the kicker panel, not in the 2 hours I played with it. And generally, it is icky. Not for me.

I installed xfce4 which I've used quite a bit and it's Ok but has some issues. I hunted round and found how to install Trinity and all was sweetness and light, nearly. Some of the advanced system setup doesn't work, maybe because of some KDE4 pieces are still around. Hyperlinks don't work in Thunderbird but this may not be Trinity. I can get the bottom panel to do pretty much anything I want although one or two of it's configure actions cause the panel to crash and disappear altogether, requiring a reboot to get it back.

I think I need a clean install of something with Xfce4 and then install Trinity, as David above. No bits of KDE4 hanging about then. Fiddling about in Vbox is no substitute for a real install to find the quirks. I may try Mint 12 RC which has just hit the mirrors and see if that floats my boat with it's version of Gnome 3 and install Trinity as an alternative to that.

George