Re: [LUG] Desktop trauma

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011, George Parker wrote:

My rant isn't really about Debian testing shoving Gnome 3 at me. If I was doing serious work I wouldn't use testing and in future I'll be a bit more careful about what I upgrade. My rant is about the fact that the 2 main desktops have both gone down the bells & whistles route to the detriment of how I want my desktop to work. I have no doubt I could manipulate KDE and Gnome to look roughly as I want them but why should I? Why install a huge programme and then hide most of it's features?

Everyone is different - there is no "one size fits all" in the world of desktop computers. If there were, then the world would be a very dull place.

So my reply is why shouldn't you? Everyone personalises MS Windows and the Mac desktop to some extent, so why not the Linux desktop? For exmaple, I like windows to auto-raise (and autograb focus) when I move the mouse over them, but some people don't - they seem to like finding the top-bar and clicking in it for some reason - which I find weird, but they find normal... I like lots of vertical screen space, so a bar along the bottom is not good for me, but many put up with it because that's the way it's always been (for them)

I like monochrome for the most part but others like lots of colours and so on.

We're all individuals.

My fear is that anything else I install is going to go the same way. I haven't tried Trinity yet, the fork of KDE that keeps the features of KDE 3 may be an option. That would maybe do the trick and I always preferred KDE over Gnome.

So why not stick to KDE and learn how to customise it to your own likings? I've stuck with Debian since it was first released and although I don't always do things the Debian way, I mostly do and have learned how to use it. I don't like Red Hat it its derivatives, but that's mostly because I've never invested the time and effort to learn how the plumb together.

I'll keep playing until dementia gets me. I'll keep playing until dementia gets me.

That's the game. Do keep up at the back ;-)

Gordon