Re: [LUG] Comical phone call. MS vs Linux & Malware.

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 11:35 AM, Kevin Lucas
<kevin.lucas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-02-19 at 10:25 +0000, Simon Waters wrote:
>> On 19/02/11 01:54, Julian Hall wrote:
>> >
>> > I think education is the way forward.
>>
>> This line of argument is a red flag to my skeptical brain.
>>
>> More education is rarely the best answer to a problem like this. More
>> education can be good, and reduce problems, but at the end of the day
>> there is only finite resource for education.
>>
>> It is a bit like the phrase "the government should do something about
>> this", sometimes it is true, other times it just reveals you haven't
>> pondered the other pressures on government's resources.
>>
>> > The more people understand about
>> > what their computer *can* do, the more they'll understand about what
>> > some lying scammer *can't* do and will recognise blatant attempts to
>> > defraud them without going through the pain of expensive mistakes.
>>
>> I suspect more education about computers will get us no where, and will
>> likely confuse people. More education on common types of scam on the
>> other hand might work. People seriously can't be expected to have a
>> correct mental model of how their computer works, how their phone works,
>> how international direct dialing works etc etc.
>>
>> On the other hand the moment someone wants "access" to their computer it
>> should be like the moment someone wants your front door keys, or your
>> bank account details, similar questions should flash across your mind.
>>
>> However even this education is likely dubious in its success, as
>> educators have waxed lyrical about "critical thinking skills" for
>> decades, but few schools explicitly teach them. Organised Religion,
>> homoeopathy and "alternative medicines" seems to be rife despite this
>> focus, and they are your basic big frauds.
>>
>> > In its' simplest form people need to understand the *only* company who will
>> > contact them about a virus being spread by their computer (or whatever
>> > other lie they come up with) is their ISP, and even then 99% certain to
>> > be an email not a phone call.
> This scammer said he was from Microsoft and the problem was the "infected" PC had
> been flagged as sending out spam!

Yes, very similar to that. It was difficult to understand him to be honest.

> So they had been asked by "your ISP" to sort it out before you were
> removed from the Internet

He did not get that far.

> You could ask the question " Should novices be allowed to drive on the
> internet?"

You could certainly ask. But if the answer is "no" this would prevent
most of the population freely using the net would it not?

> or conversely
>
> IF you are a novice should you be restricted to web mail and firewalled
> to hell by the ISP?

Could this constitute a breach of a civil or cyber liberty? I dont know.

roly :-)