Re: [LUG] Some kind of download monitor for broadband?

On 04/09/10 14:54, Dan Dart wrote:
If they don't show how much you're using, you cannot be responsible
for how much you're using. I mean, yes, your own computer. Over one
day.
But if someone cracks your internet or uses it (open) then you can't
be responsible. So thus they shouldn't be able to charge you for going
over without telling you.

Makes sense if you're told "You've gone over xxx GB" or "You've used
over half" but it's not enough info.

On my 3 contract on my phone I have 1GB allowance but they don't tell me how much allowance I have used or have left. First I know is when I get a text saying that I'm near my limits and if I go over them I'll be charged which isn't much good as it doesn't say HOW near I am to my limits. Luckily it's only happened once and it was near to the monthly roll over anyway.

Anyway, I'm not buying from people who give limits or charge if you go
over, or have fair use policies that cripple your connection.

True, the only reason I'm with Virgin is because the alternatives only give me about 7 Meg (unless I went to Talktalk, and hell will freeze over before I do that!). Might look at it again when BT provide FTTC in the area (maybe sometime in the next few years).

Anyone know of a provider that GENUINELY does unlimited, like in the
US where they have no limits?

There are a few, can't think of any off the top of my head. Generally you have to pay a massive amount to get it though, especially on ADSL. IIRC Enta did (not sure if they still do) have an unlimited tarrif but it was about £80 ish or so a month.

Virgin do unlimited internet on 50Mbit connections although I can't warrant spending the extra to upgrade (would be nice but it costs more than I can really afford).

Rob