Re: [LUG] Some kind of download monitor for broadband?

On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 00:38:12 +0100
Julian Hall wrote:

> The difference is that Virgin don't stipulate a download limit in the
> actual package.  I think there's a difference between saying 'You can
> download 3Gb a month for Â10', and giving you a tool to monitor
> against the 3Gb, or saying 'You can download as much as you like, but
> we'll slow down your connection if you download more than X Gb'.
> Virgin aren't saying they'd stop you downloading, simply that it may
> slow down for a limited period.
>
> It would be like O2 telling me 'You can either have 500 minutes of
> call time per month for Â10, or unlimited minutes but after 1000 the
> audio quality will be rubbish'.  I could still use the service after
> the 1000 just at a reduced quality.
>
> Julian

Virgin Media's limits:
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/acceptance.html

They're not exactly well signposted when you're signing up to the
service though.  I found them because I fell foul of them, phoned up
complaining that our connection speed had dropped well below acceptable
levels (again) and I wanted to know if there was a problem in the
area.  The lady I spoke to looked through the system and then checked
my account... bingo!  She said she's email the links over to me.

Grant.