Re: [LUG] Some kind of download monitor for broadband?

 On 03/09/2010 21:02, Rob Beard wrote:
On 03/09/10 19:24, tom wrote:

I would check with your/her ISP - there should be a web page that shows
usage - you may be able to check this from other than her place.
Tom te tom te tom

That's assuming the ISP is decent enough to provide something like that. I know Enta does but Virgin doesn't for their FUP (it seems to rely on guesswork).

Other option is to just download a couple of ISOs and then she'll get a shock when she gets a bill for going over the allowance.

Rob

The difference is that Virgin don't stipulate a download limit in the actual package. I think there's a difference between saying 'You can download 3Gb a month for £10', and giving you a tool to monitor against the 3Gb, or saying 'You can download as much as you like, but we'll slow down your connection if you download more than X Gb'. Virgin aren't saying they'd stop you downloading, simply that it may slow down for a limited period.

It would be like O2 telling me 'You can either have 500 minutes of call time per month for £10, or unlimited minutes but after 1000 the audio quality will be rubbish'. I could still use the service after the 1000 just at a reduced quality.

Julian