Re: [LUG] Some kind of download monitor for broadband?

On Sat, 4 Sep 2010 13:43:01 +0100
Chris Bunney wrote:

> On 4 September 2010 10:02, Grant Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Virgin Media's limits:
> > http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html
> > http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/acceptance.html
> >
> > They're not exactly well signposted when you're signing up to the
> > service though. ÂI found them because I fell foul of them, phoned up
> > complaining that our connection speed had dropped well below
> > acceptable levels (again) and I wanted to know if there was a
> > problem in the area. ÂThe lady I spoke to looked through the system
> > and then checked my account... bingo! ÂShe said she's email the
> > links over to me.
> >
> > Grant.
> >

> I'd heard anecdotally about Virgin's traffic management, but never
> been able to find the details before. As a Virgin customer I've
> probably run foul of this a few times, now I won't be stumbling around
> in the dark so much. Thanks for links!
>
> Chris

Not a problem!

Personally I am happier about Virgin slowing a connection once it has
run foul of the limits set, rather than stopping it all-together.  My
connection was reduced to a 512k... which was perfectly usable when I
first got broadband, and certainly usable today for getting email,
doing some instant messaging and IRC.  I only noticed that the
connection had slowed down because my ISO download said it'd take a
hell of a lot longer than it reported earlier in the day. ;)

Grant.