Re: [LUG] Change of distro??

El dom, 16-05-2010 a las 15:52 +0100, John Williams escribiÃ:
> On Sun, 2010-05-16 at 03:32 -0700, Rhia Knowles wrote:
>
> > I also liked that it used a root account for permissions instead of sudo.
>
> sudo -i
>
> Will give you your root terminal, no need to keep prefixing sudo ;)
>
> Or just add a passwd back to the root account with
>
> sudo passwd -u root
>
> Should also work as well, I'd just use the first suggestion though, its
> even the same number of chars as "su root" which you would use to change
> user ofc.

I would add that "sudo -i" provides a login shell, that it's the same
than "su -".

The difference is mainly in the environment variables used with you run
"su -" for a login shell and "su root" to just become root preserving
part of the actual environment.

I'm a sudo fan, mainly because it caches the password for some time
(using "su -c command" needs you to enter the password every time), AND
you don't have to run a root login shell.

Cheers,

Juanjo

--
jjm's home: http://www.usebox.net/jjm/