Re: [LUG] Change of distro??

On 15/05/10 17:26, Neil Winchurst wrote:
I have been using Kubuntu for some years now, although I have stayed
with Hardy for the last two years. It is now time for a change/upgrade I
think.

I feel that Kubuntu has lost its way a bit recently. Anyway I am ready
for a change. I have been considering Mint 9 when it comes out. I have
Mint v 7 on my laptop (Xfce version) and I am well impressed.

However, due to some comments on this list I have been looking at
PCLinuxOS, 2010 version which is already available. I have installed
this in VBox (KDE version) and am mostly impressed.

Does anyone on the list have any experience of either/both of these? And
if so, any comments please. I think that either of these would do well
for a Linux convert, for example.

Thanks

Neil

Can't say I have experience of either of them but I have downloaded the Mint 9 RC which I'm hoping to try out. I gather it's based on Ubuntu 10.04 so it should be supported until 2013 and I do like the look of it.

I'm not sure if long term I'd make the switch to Mint, but I guess I want to find something that I feel comfortable with just in case the Ubuntu 10.10 release is well, enough to put me off Ubuntu for good (it's already started with the changes in Ubuntu 10.04, don't get me wrong I like Ubuntu but I'm not so sure about the window controls moving, and I'm wondering what else will change based on what appears to be one persons vision*)

Rob

* Okay I dare say the changes from 9.10 to 10.04 aren't just based on what one person (i.e. Mark Shuttleworth) thinks, but well I'm not so sure if I like the changes.