Re: [LUG] Meeting, thanks. -ideas on promotion

On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 09:17 +0100, Neil Winchurst wrote:

> My suggestion is to use the KDE desktop or even Xfce rather than Gnome.
> I think that refugees from Windows would me more comfortable with that.
> So Kubuntu rather than Ubuntu, or even Mint KDE or Xfce version. Just a
> thought.

To date I have always installed or otherwise guided people towards
regular Ubuntu for the simplest of reason. It has the most and widest
amount of support available online, far in excess of any of the
variants.

When people are starting out, I feel they should be directed towards the
platform with the most information available, except if someone is
prepared to help mentor them, then the most important thing would be to
use the distro you are most comfortable to offer help on.

That has been my thinking to date whether its right or wrong. It is also
why I stuck with linux after installing Ubuntu 5.04 (I think), the
Breezy Badger one. The wealth of information helped me solve any issues
faster than using a distribution without the quantity of guides/howto's.

In summary, perhaps this is true, with mentoring use whatever you feel
most comfortable on, without mentoring Ubuntu has the largest amount of
information online and thus makes a sensible choice?

--
John Williams
My linux blog of notes and guides