Re: [LUG] Meeting, thanks. -ideas on promotion

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> Paul Sutton wrote:
>> It needs more content,  no idea how or if its possible to upload
>> graphics, a team is more than 1 or 2 people.
>>
>> I will be on the dclug chat channel if anyone wants to chat #dclug on
>> irc.flashtek-uk.com
>>
>> if I don't respond I am probably busy,
>>
>> Paul
>>
> As another thought, there is a local free publication in Holsworthy
> named the Admart. There are usually some pages devoted to local
> businesses and pubs etc. I can have a look at the latest edition to find
> out if we could get something in there. I will let you know what happens.
>
> Neil

Sounds good,

I saw a advert for a medion pc today

comes with office 07 trial, use for 60 days and buy a license
comes with some sort of defender packages,  again use for x days and buy
a license,

surely we can use this sort of thing in our favour,  even if we can't
get people to go over to Linux straight away something like this may
strike a chord

Just bought a new PC, does it come with trial software,  can't afford or
don't want to pay for the full version,  consider open source software
alternatives (instead of piracy),  come along to the next linux user
group meet for details, we are not here to sell, just provide free
impartial advice,  we can install free alternatives to expensive windows
/ office packages, or demo a Linux which is a full alternative.

On this, it maybe worth getting hold of a few opendiscs.  ok its windows
, but get people using open office and they are ready if they ever move
to Linux.

http://www.theopendisc.com/

ok this is now a dvd but it may help,  esp if getting people along is an
 issue,  lets get people over slowly,  once they are through the door,
we can then explain the advantages of using open standards, such as odf,
 rather than .doc / .docx and related.

We still need to remember there are going to be people that need to save
as MS formats for school, work etc etc.

Paul

- --
Paul Sutton - www.zleap.net
DCGLUG MEETINGS
Next Paignton Lug meet : 3pm Saturday June 5th - Shoreline
Next Holsworthly meet : 2pm Saturday June 19th - White Hart