Re: [LUG] Meeting, thanks. -ideas on promotion

On Mon, 2010-05-10 at 15:26 +0100, Neil Winchurst wrote:

> That is it exactly. A monthly meeting isn't enough. Taking time to get
> them started, at their place perhaps, isn't enough. The need is for some
> person/people to be available for assistance at any reasonable time.

Whenever I have helped people migrate before I have been careful to
provide help afterwards, sometimes a heck of a lot. This has been for
family and friends though. I would be very reticent about agreeing to be
as available for Joe Bloggs who wanders in. It can be very demanding and
I rather think my patience is not as bottomless as it might need to be.

I have a fair idea where my strengths and weaknesses lie, and tutoring
random people is a weak area for me, I would not be keen to give out my
phone number to them for instance, and email support is very time
consuming and likely to be unsatisfactory for both parties.

> Those with a Windows machine could well have many friends  and/or
> relations with some experience to help. Going over to Linux, however
> gently, could make them wonder if the same sort of help will be around.
> That is what I am talking about.

To a degree, I tend to stay away from those that I feel are going to
need an exorbitant amount of help, leave them to Windows for the time
being where they are comfortable and have learnt to do what they need.

As Linux gains more momentum then those more knowledgeable of computers
would be able to help their own friends and family who really do need
that extra assistance. Frankly, it doesn't make a lot of difference to
me what operating system someone else uses, so long as it does what
*they* want. There is little point converting someone who struggled to
get as far as they have on Windows and give them another learning curve.

For me, I suggest Linux if I know they have a basic knowledge of
computers, so far as they can install their own software and perform
other simple tasks. If they have no specific windows applications they
*must* use, for work or something.

Someone who isn't a good candidate would be someone who can barely
manage to start IE and gets completely lost if you tidied up the icons
on the desktop.  Just my thoughts.

Wow, that got wordy. Sorry :]

--
John Williams