Re: [LUG] Meeting, thanks. -ideas on promotion

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> John Williams wrote:
>> To a degree, I tend to stay away from those that I feel are going to
>> need an exorbitant amount of help, leave them to Windows for the time
>> being where they are comfortable and have learnt to do what they need.
>>

>> For me, I suggest Linux if I know they have a basic knowledge of
>> computers, so far as they can install their own software and perform
>> other simple tasks. If they have no specific windows applications they
>> *must* use, for work or something.
>>
>> Someone who isn't a good candidate would be someone who can barely
>> manage to start IE and gets completely lost if you tidied up the icons
>> on the desktop.  Just my thoughts.
>>
>> Wow, that got wordy. Sorry :]
>>

> I have done some cutting out but ....
>
> absolutely right. I should have said that we must be careful to choose
> people who are likely to succeed with the change. I know you can't be
> 100% sure, but you can soon get a good idea. Anyway, I hope that anyone
> who takes the trouble to come to a meeting with thoughts of trying Linux
> themselves would be the right sort of people. Otherwise they probably
> wouldn't bother.
>
> Neil

Getting the balance right will be harder,  but having a consistant
distribution, despite our loyalties will also be handy,  I am betting
more people use ubuntu,  and therefore there is more chance of getting
help with that.

However at least with ubuntu there is now a manual for it,  written by
the community, be sure to copy this on to the desktops for new users,
it may be handy for them.

UK version in pdf for screen / printing should be available shortly,
right now its US letter.

Paul

- --
Paul Sutton - www.zleap.net
DCGLUG MEETINGS
Next Paignton Lug meet : 3pm Saturday June 5th - Shoreline
Next Holsworthly meet : 2pm Saturday June 19th - White Hart