Re: [LUG] Meeting, thanks. -ideas on promotion

On 10/05/2010 15:10, Neil Winchurst wrote:
Eion MacDonald wrote:

On 10/05/10 08:27, Neil Winchurst wrote:
  I am all for helping people to go across to open source software,
but do realise this. It will require a lot of support and time for these
people. It is no good just installing (dual boot?) Linux for them, they
will need a lot of training and *ongoing* support. Otherwise they may
well give up and go back to what they know.
Two steps too far at one go!
1) Convert to open-source software for use on their MS Win machine first.
2) Then, after they use say Abiword (small docs), OpenOffice.org,
Firefox, Thunderbird with * default save* set to .doc .xls (for school
/company use introduce to Linux.

3 I find this progression is the best way (certainly for old folks)

Sounds good. Softly, softly ... But my point is still that they will
need ongoing support for some time to come (certainly for older folks).

Neil

I am of the opinion that many who move from Windows to Linux will find the filing system very different and not a little difficult to get used to. In that respect I prefer the Windows filing system.

John W