Re: [LUG] Meeting, thanks. -ideas on promotion

John Williams wrote:

> To a degree, I tend to stay away from those that I feel are going to
> need an exorbitant amount of help, leave them to Windows for the time
> being where they are comfortable and have learnt to do what they need.
>

> For me, I suggest Linux if I know they have a basic knowledge of
> computers, so far as they can install their own software and perform
> other simple tasks. If they have no specific windows applications they
> *must* use, for work or something.
>
> Someone who isn't a good candidate would be someone who can barely
> manage to start IE and gets completely lost if you tidied up the icons
> on the desktop.  Just my thoughts.
>
> Wow, that got wordy. Sorry :]

I have done some cutting out but ....

absolutely right. I should have said that we must be careful to choose
people who are likely to succeed with the change. I know you can't be
100% sure, but you can soon get a good idea. Anyway, I hope that anyone
who takes the trouble to come to a meeting with thoughts of trying Linux
themselves would be the right sort of people. Otherwise they probably
wouldn't bother.

Neil