Re: [LUG] Ubuntu training for newbies

On 26 April 2010 00:25, Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 25/04/10 21:49, james kilty wrote:
On Sun, 2010-04-25 at 19:39 +0100, Grant Sewell wrote:
Many years ago I contacted my
then-local Adult Ed people about *ME* running a Linux course and I got
exactly the same treatment as James.
I would have asked you to be one of the guys offering a session then as
we were neighbours more or less - was it Helston by any chance - the IT
guys would have been the same and vetoed it.

How do we get round this other than by asking people to bring laptops in
or having lots ourselves? I imagine different reasons would be given -
it would be nice to couple up to the Internet to download updates etc.
and demonstrate the how-to but they's probably say Linux was insecure.

You could get away with an LTSP server, that way the machines that people bring along could network boot, although it is a tad messy with regards to cables and the machines connecting would either need to be able to network boot or use something like Etherboot.

Or maybe a bunch of USB sticks with an Ubuntu Live distro on them but with persistent storage (so it saves the data and settings to the stick at shutdown).

Rob

Or LTSP on the adult ed areas PCs. Wont touch their HDDs, all sessions stored on the server machine you bring in (is that doable? or maybe give em a networked share to store their work on/flashpens), Just means ensuring all the PCs they provide have bootroms.