Re: [LUG] Ubuntu training for newbies

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 19:11:25 +0100
John Hansen wrote:

> On 25/04/2010 19:04, james kilty wrote:
> > On Sat, 2010-04-24 at 12:47 +0100, Paul Sutton wrote:
> >

> >> It would be nice to have an indication on demand for this sort of
> >> thing, as it seems training or lack there of is a big barrier to
> >> the take up of Linux of any flavour.
> >>
> > I contacted my local adult ed centre a couple of years ago about
> > running a course. They said they'd have to contact the IT
> > department and I heard no more. I presume the IT department would
> > not like to have their Windows machines contaminated with a Linux.
> > So, an educational opportunity was disallowed by the IT
> > professionals rather than on educational merit. There is a human
> > rights issue here if I wanted to pursue it.
> >
> > James
> >

> James,
> I suppose the IT guys were not themselves confident in the use of
> Linux so were not prepared
> to run a Linux course.
>
> John W

Yes, I'd *like* to think that as well.  Many years ago I contacted my
then-local Adult Ed people about *ME* running a Linux course and I got
exactly the same treatment as James.  Then over the course of 5 years
whilst under the employ of a local FE College there were many attempts
- frequently met with enthusiasm but then everything got swept under
 the carpet.

But, I'm now teaching at a new FE College, so there's renewed
opportunities!

Grant.