Re: [LUG] Ubuntu training for newbies

Rob Beard wrote:
> On 24/04/10 09:46, Roland Tarver wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Roly,
>>>
>>> Re cost, it depends on how much training / number of different topics
>>> / no
>>> of trainees. As a guide, I charge 25.00 for 1.5 hours when providing
>>> training on a one to one basis, normally.
>>

>> ok. I will forward these details and he can decide. Man y thanks.
>>

>>> However, I am happy to be flexible on fees and would charge less per
>>> person
>>> for multiple trainees in a group.
>>>
>>> I have enough laptops to do a group of 4 people and of course, would be
>>> happy for people to bring their own if they have a laptop.
>>>
>>> Perhaps I could come up with a suggested list of topics that may be
>>> useful
>>> for a beginner?
>>
>> Yes, if you would not mind. But please don't spend much of your time
>> on it. Obviously, I have yet to ask if my friend would be interested.
>> (emailing him now)
>>

> Something I have gathered from attending the past couple of LUG meetings
> is that more and more new users are starting to turn up, I'm wondering
> if it is worth putting together some sort of training material which can
> then be taught?
>
> With the upcoming release of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, maybe something could be
> based on this (I don't want to start a distro flame war here, I'm just
> thinking that 10.04 LTS is going to be around for 3 years and won't
> change like other distros can do every 6 months or so).
>
> I'm still keeping an eye out for possible venues too, I guess somewhere
> like the Shoreline is handy if it's quiet (say on a Sunday morning or
> something), if I can find anywhere else I'll post it to the list.
>
> Rob
>
> Rob

Sounds a good idea, Just downloaded the manual that is at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-manual thanks to roland for posting that.

if you're doing taught sesssions you really do need to be in a proper
teaching environment,  perhaps with whiteboard etc.

things like openoffice are pretty standard,  same would go for
thunderbird etc,  so these are platform independent.

remember that gnome is just a desktop environment, and most of the shell
stuff is again available across all plat forms so using ubuntu as a base
would be a good idea,  (you can always branch off adn talk to smaller
groups about specifics of a distro).

I contact hele hub in torquay and suggested courses in Open source /
Linux and as with a lot of these suggestions, i get no responses. I
recently att4ended a course in plymouth on the rfu system,  again 1.5
hours to 2 hours is just about right.

It would be nice to have an indication on demand for this sort of thing,
 as it seems training or lack there of is a big barrier to the take up
of Linux of any flavour.

Paul

- --
Paul Sutton