Re: [LUG] Ubuntu training for newbies

On 25/04/10 21:49, james kilty wrote:
On Sun, 2010-04-25 at 19:39 +0100, Grant Sewell wrote:
Many years ago I contacted my
then-local Adult Ed people about *ME* running a Linux course and I got
exactly the same treatment as James.
I would have asked you to be one of the guys offering a session then as
we were neighbours more or less - was it Helston by any chance - the IT
guys would have been the same and vetoed it.

How do we get round this other than by asking people to bring laptops in
or having lots ourselves? I imagine different reasons would be given -
it would be nice to couple up to the Internet to download updates etc.
and demonstrate the how-to but they's probably say Linux was insecure.

You could get away with an LTSP server, that way the machines that people bring along could network boot, although it is a tad messy with regards to cables and the machines connecting would either need to be able to network boot or use something like Etherboot.

Or maybe a bunch of USB sticks with an Ubuntu Live distro on them but with persistent storage (so it saves the data and settings to the stick at shutdown).

Rob