[LUG] Ubuntu training for newbies

Hi folks,

A month or so back my Step-Father bought a laptop. Now this is his first computer, and I figured rather than let him deal with the trials and tribulations of running Windows, that he should give Ubuntu a try.

Laptop was fine, everything was working with Ubuntu 9.10, I setup the wireless and showed him how to open up a web browser, search for pages with Google etc and how to turn the thing on and off.

All seemed fine, I even setup some remote access so I could connect in and advise things over the phone.

However today I popped over and asked how they were getting on, turns out they were struggling as the wireless signal was poor, the broadband was disconnecting (I'll post separately about this later) and they had got some guy in from Newton Abbot to 'train' them how to use the internet. This guy said that 'Ubuntu is too advanced and they should go over to Windows 7'.

I then pointed out that they hadn't used a computer before so WHATEVER OS they were running (Windows XP/Vista/7, MacOSX, any flavour of Linux) it would take some getting used to. I also mentioned that it makes my life easier with them running Ubuntu as I don't have to worry about them getting Spyware, keeping the anti-virus software and firewalls up to date and making sure their machine is regularly defragged and kept up to date (something that they'd expect me to do for free!).

I've talked them out of going for Windows 7, I did explain a bit about Phishing and how that could affect any OS and that they should be vigilant (i.e. not clicking on links in e-mails which say they are from the bank, rather go to the bank web site separately) and if in doubt don't click things. They then told me that I was going through things too quickly for them.

So all this got me wondering, is there anyone on the list who actually does training (maybe for a living, or has the patience to sit down with a complete newbie who in their early 60's is getting to grips with the internet and e-mail and computing for the first time) who could possibly offer my Step-Father some assistance?

I did say that possibly down the line when the Exwick Community Centre and Lighthouse Projects are finished that we might be able to offer some basic computer training (possibly for a small fee to go towards LUG funds?).

I also mentioned about the LUG meetings in Paignton and suggested maybe my Step-Father could come along to one and maybe sit down with someone and go through some of the things.

I'm not sure how much he was paying this guy from Newton Abbot but I thought I'd ask on here anyway. I've also suggested he gets a book on Ubuntu (there is one for newbies listed on Amazon which is coming out in June, presumably to cover Ubuntu 10.04 LTS) and I'm going to look out for the Linux Format guides too in the mean time.

Would anyone be willing to possibly give him a hand?

My Step-Father lives in Teignmouth but does drive so he might be willing to travel as long as it isn't too far from Teignmouth, or maybe someone on the list here might be able to help and travel over to Teignmouth?

Ta,

Rob