Re: [LUG] Ubuntu training for newbies

On 26/04/10 06:48, Vivi Griffin wrote:
On 25 April 2010 14:06, Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On 24/04/10 10:16, Vivi Griffin wrote:

        On 24 April 2010 09:46, Roland Tarver
        <roland.tarver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:roland.tarver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        <mailto:roland.tarver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>> wrote:

         > Hi Roly,
         >
         > Re cost, it depends on how much training / number of different
            topics / no
         > of trainees. As a guide, I charge 25.00 for 1.5 hours when
        providing
         > training on a one to one basis, normally.

            ok. I will forward these details and he can decide. Man y
        thanks.

         > However, I am happy to be flexible on fees and would charge less
            per person
         > for multiple trainees in a group.
         >
         > I have enough laptops to do a group of 4 people and of course,
            would be
         > happy for people to bring their own if they have a laptop.
         >
         > Perhaps I could come up with a suggested list of topics that may
            be useful
         > for a beginner?

            Yes, if you would not mind. But please don't spend much of
        your time
            on it. Obviously, I have yet to ask if my friend would be
        interested.
            (emailing him now)

         > Viv

            Many thanks
            Best wishes
            Roly :-)

        Suggested topics for intro to ubuntu (already installed &
        configured) -
        happy to adapt this to what people need though).

        Installing new apps - intro to Synaptic
        Distro Updates
        Email (poss. Thunderbird or Evolution)
        Intro to OpenOffice (Calc and Writer)
        Basics - using console
        Browsing web - Googling for advice on Ubuntu
        Media Players - media issues
        The concept of permissions - logging in as root / user

        I think 1/2 day is enough to get people started and cover a range of
        topics such as these.

        Viv

    I'd say initially my step-father would only probably need an
    introduction to distro updates (it's set to automatically install
    security updates, but I'm not sure if it comes up with non-critical
    updates), OpenOffice (Writer and Calc), F-Spot for managing photos
    from a digital camera, and general Internet.
    it'll probably be me who does any administration on his PC).

    Maybe rather than teaching Synaptic too, the Ubuntu Software Centre
    might be a more suitable option.

    What I will probably do is setup his laptop with an e-mail address
    incorporated into Thunderbird.  Unfortunately he's been setup with a
    Hotmail address, but if he now clicks on an e-mail link on a web
    page it'll open Evolution.  I'm thinking maybe giving him a Google
    Mail address and incorporating that into Thunderbird (and setting
    Thunderbird as the default e-mail app) might be a better solution
    for him.  (Unless anyone can advise how to get IMAP/POP access to a
    Hotmail mailbox).

    Rob

    -- use

Rob : Just a thought. As an alternative to using Thunderbird, he could
just use webmail (I use Google too) and print any emails that he wants
to keep, to PDF. If he only needs one email account, this approach is
also quite simple.

The only issue I can see with this, is if he clicks an e-mail link on a web page it won't open the web mail, so he'll have to copy and paste the address.

Sorry - I meant "Ubuntu Software Centre" but, forgot and called it
Synaptic because I used that for so long!

Yep, can't remember when it changed, was it 9.04 or 9.10 when it changed the name from something like Add/Remove programs?

Yes - F-Spot is a good idea. Picasa is good for people who upload to the
net but, F-Spot is simpler to learn, I think.

Yep, F-Spot also does CD burning in the application (I know Picasa does on Windows but not sure about on Linux).

Apparently, Hotmail does now have pop access :

http://lifehacker.com/5169684/hotmail-finally-enables-pop3-worldwide

Ahh I'll have a look at that ta, might be an option for him.

Rob