Re: [LUG] Etiquette was Re: And this is bad news...

On Mon, 2009-06-29 at 12:24 +0100, Gordon Henderson wrote:
I said
> > Interesting that my wife and colleagues are regularly asked to clear out
> > their mailboxes as the server is clogged up with their huge bank of
> > top-posted emails which grow in size each post.
>
> That's an intersting one ... To me, it demonstrates that the IT department
> where she works is not doing their job, because their job is to support
> the users, who are their customers, and the customer is always right ...
I think the memory requirements are huge. Their servers seem to be
inadequate.

> However her IT deparment could probably do a better job of education in
> the first place, so large in-boxes and tails of top-posted emails don't
> happen.
Numpties come to mind.

> > James
> >
> > PS She wants a Linux box now as her computers take an interminable time
> > to produce a working screen. She sees my startup in seconds from suspend
> > and is quietly envious.
>
> Ecvellent - hope she's in a position of power at her workplace to make it
> happen :)
Zero power. Numpties rule OK? On the one occasion she mentioned using a
couple of free software programmes she was treated with contempt as
knowing zilch about real computing. Slammed into her place as an
ignoramus. I won't go into the details of how difficult her work
updating various sections of the website are with the CMS she has been
given nor how she had to advise a consultant brought in by them to
improve it.

--
james kilty
http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk