Re: [LUG] USB boot

trewornan wrote:
> Sunday I had a computer meltdown and had to install Ubuntu from a USB stick - I
> tried with a KingMax 4GB. I like these because they're the most compact I've come
> across and fit nicely on a keyring. I was going to leave it on this stick so I
> could use it anywhere/anywhen in future. But I couldn't get it to boot. After
> trying a lot of other things I eventually tried again using a Kingston Traveller
> 2GB job and it worked perfectly.
>
> I can't explain this: before I loaded the KingMax up via Unetbootin I set it up as
> a single FAT32 partition and marked it bootable same as with the Kingston. The
> only odd thing I can find is that the KingMax although it says 4GB actually the
> partition (which as far as I can see covers the entire memory) says 3.8GB. Is it
> possible there's some peculiar proprietary partitioning that isn't apparent under
> normal usage.
>
> Any suggestions?

Just a thought but unetbootin doesn't seem to be able to handle all distros.
On previous ubuntus to jaunty I've used it but used the img writer from
canonical and fedoras own usb image creator for their distro.

As for the disk itself, I have a similar key that has 512 meg set up as
a CD drive. Doesn't matter what I do to try to get rid of it, gparted,
fdisk etc it won't budge.
As it's only a 1 gig key anyway (cam free after test driving a Laguna) I
stuck partition-magic as an emergency recovery disk on it. Fantastic,
quick and has wireless networking built in that works on most netbooks.

Ray