Re: [LUG] Warning - Any Mandriva Users Out There!!! A Rant.

On Sun, 3 May 2009 12:05:41 +0100 (BST)
Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Gordon,

> Hm. Now wifey has an HP scan/print unit connected to her XP desktop,
> it's a Photosmart 2575 scan/print thingy and I'd quietely ignored
> until now, (I have an HP4600 colour laserprinter which eats
> postScript) when after a quick look at it, I find an Ethernet socket...
> So maybe I'll have a look at hplip now...

HPLIP works with parport, USB and ethernet printers.  The Debian package
seems to not have parport support compiled in, but since new printers
don't use that, it's almost a non-issue now.

> A quick search finds:
>    http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html
> So there's hope!

"A New Hope" perhaps?   ;-)

> Indeed - and I'd forgotten about the multimedia stuff too. (I don't
> play DVDs though and too used to some of my old ways!)

Hobson's choice for me;  If the TV is in use by wife and/or kids, I
can't watch a DVD, since that's where the player is.  SO, I have to
watch on the computer.

> The one package you may need, even if not playing DVDs is w32codecs.

Which I neglected to mention.

> Debian is the purest of pure when it comes to obeying the FSF rules,
> but here in the real world, it's not always possible to stick to them
> - certianly not in the desktop world yet though.

OTOH, there are some real DFSG zealots out there.  They simply won't use
anything from anywhere other than "main" and "contrib".  No "non-free",
debian-multimedia, etc.  Of course, it's their choice to make.

--
 Regards  _

Two sides to every story
Public Image - Public Image Ltd