Re: [LUG] Warning - Any Mandriva Users Out There!!! A Rant.

On Sunday 03 May 2009, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Sun, 3 May 2009, Brad Rogers wrote:
> > On Sun, 3 May 2009 06:22:32 +0100
> > Vivi Griffin <vivi.griffin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Vivi,
> >
> > What Gordon says is sage advice, but a little further info;
> >
> >> I also use an HP PSC 1510 printer / scanner, using HPLIP.
> >
> > HPLIP is available in Debian.  It's currently broken (in testing, at
> > least) but a fix is on the way.
>
> Hm. Now wifey has an HP scan/print unit connected to her XP desktop, it's
> a Photosmart 2575 scan/print thingy and I'd quietely ignored until now, (I
> have an HP4600 colour laserprinter which eats postScript) when after a
> quick look at it, I find an Ethernet socket...
>
> So maybe I'll have a look at hplip now...
>
> A quick search finds:
>
>    http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html
>
> So there's hope!
>
> >> Also, I like to watch the news and, occasionally BBC IPlayer.
> >
> > You'll need to install stuff from the debian-multimedia.org
> > repositories;  http://www.debian-multimedia.org
> >
> > The stuff there aren't included in the normal Debian repos because of
> > certain issues regarding freedom (Debian has a *very* strict list of
> > criteria regarding what is, and isn't, free software).  Even ordinary
> > DVDs won't play under Debian "out of the box", because of the legality
> > (or otherwise) of libdvdcss under certain legislations.  It can mean
> > that, sometimes Debian's package management system  will attempt to
> > remove a package you have installed because it falls foul of the Debian
> > Free Software Guidelines (DFSG).  Although that, IME, is rare.  If you
> > can't live with that, Debian probably isn't for you.
> >
> > Having said that, once Debian is set up to your liking, you *never* have
> > to perform "installs" to upgrade as you do with Mandriva, etc, just
> > perform a weekly update for bug and/or security fixes, etc.
>
> Indeed - and I'd forgotten about the multimedia stuff too. (I don't play
> DVDs though and too used to some of my old ways!)
>
>    wget debian-multimedia-keyring_2008.10.16_all.deb.1
>    wget
> http://www.debian-multimedia.org/pool/main/d/debian-multimedia-keyring/debi
>an-multimedia-keyring_2008.10.16_all.deb dpkg -i
> debian-multimedia-keyring_2008.10.16.deb
>
> then For the UK mirror, you can put:
>
>    deb http://debian-multimedia.fx-services.com/ lenny main
>
> in /etc/apt/sources.list and off you go...
>
> The one package you may need, even if not playing DVDs is w32codecs. This
> will let mplayer play (most) windows movile format files, along with
> quicktime, real, etc.
>
> Debian is the purest of pure when it comes to obeying the FSF rules, but
> here in the real world, it's not always possible to stick to them -
> certianly not in the desktop world yet though.
>
> Gordon

OTOH Viv, if you want Debian without the pain try Simply Mepis 8 or if you
want Mandriva without the pain try PCLinuxOS 2009.  Both, coincidentally, on
the latest Linux Format disk.

I run Mepis with no trouble at all, unless I've been a naughty boy with it,
and I installed PCLinuxOS on a friends computer in place of Windows and
that's been running for 18 months now with no problems.

George