Re: [LUG] Warning - Any Mandriva Users Out There!!! A Rant.

On Sun, 3 May 2009, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Sun, 3 May 2009 06:22:32 +0100
> Vivi Griffin <vivi.griffin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hello Vivi,
>
> What Gordon says is sage advice, but a little further info;
>
>> I also use an HP PSC 1510 printer / scanner, using HPLIP.
>
> HPLIP is available in Debian.  It's currently broken (in testing, at
> least) but a fix is on the way.

Hm. Now wifey has an HP scan/print unit connected to her XP desktop, it's
a Photosmart 2575 scan/print thingy and I'd quietely ignored until now, (I
have an HP4600 colour laserprinter which eats postScript) when after a
quick look at it, I find an Ethernet socket...

So maybe I'll have a look at hplip now...

A quick search finds:

   http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html

So there's hope!

>> Also, I like to watch the news and, occasionally BBC IPlayer.
>
> You'll need to install stuff from the debian-multimedia.org
> repositories;  http://www.debian-multimedia.org
>
> The stuff there aren't included in the normal Debian repos because of
> certain issues regarding freedom (Debian has a *very* strict list of
> criteria regarding what is, and isn't, free software).  Even ordinary
> DVDs won't play under Debian "out of the box", because of the legality
> (or otherwise) of libdvdcss under certain legislations.  It can mean
> that, sometimes Debian's package management system  will attempt to
> remove a package you have installed because it falls foul of the Debian
> Free Software Guidelines (DFSG).  Although that, IME, is rare.  If you
> can't live with that, Debian probably isn't for you.
>
> Having said that, once Debian is set up to your liking, you *never* have
> to perform "installs" to upgrade as you do with Mandriva, etc, just
> perform a weekly update for bug and/or security fixes, etc.

Indeed - and I'd forgotten about the multimedia stuff too. (I don't play
DVDs though and too used to some of my old ways!)

   wget debian-multimedia-keyring_2008.10.16_all.deb.1
   wget
http://www.debian-multimedia.org/pool/main/d/debian-multimedia-keyring/debian-multimedia-keyring_2008.10.16_all.deb
   dpkg -i debian-multimedia-keyring_2008.10.16.deb

then For the UK mirror, you can put:

   deb http://debian-multimedia.fx-services.com/ lenny main

in /etc/apt/sources.list and off you go...

The one package you may need, even if not playing DVDs is w32codecs. This
will let mplayer play (most) windows movile format files, along with
quicktime, real, etc.

Debian is the purest of pure when it comes to obeying the FSF rules, but
here in the real world, it's not always possible to stick to them -
certianly not in the desktop world yet though.

Gordon