Re: [LUG] Why are there so few women in our LUG - does this indicate there are few female Linux users ?

On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 08:27 +0000, Clare Shepherd wrote:
> When I was at school I wanted to go into engineering,
> not only was my grammar school headmistress (yes, it was that long
> ago) horrified but also my Scots father, who came from a large
> family  and his brothers were mostly engineers, as were several
> earlier generations. he thought it" no a suitable job for a lassie".
> As this was the 60s, and pre-women's lib.,
Noeline was the first ever woman engineering student at IC in my year 1955.
I forget her second name. She was on her own for one year I think, then there
was a second.

I think there were a couple of women in my Physics group, and one went on to
become a Professor of Physics at Surry Uni. Alas she died of cancer some years ago.
--
james kilty
http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk