Re: [LUG] Why are there so few women in our LUG - does this indicate there are few female Linux users ?

I don't post often, but since there are so few of us females, I
couldn't let Stinga's sweeping generalisations go unanswered. I've
always enjoyed his posts, but maybe his post exemplifies why there
aren't more women using Linux, attending meetings or bothering with
Open Office. I don't think I've read such ageist, misogynist tripe
since the 60s. There maybe may be a grain of truth in that women
aren't interested in the minutiae of what processor,  how many cores
etc. a particular pc or laptop may have. They just want to do stuff.
But the analogy with cars is fatuous, I've driven all sorts of
vehicles (including buses, 850cc motorcycles vans and several
Jaguars, BMWs & Mercs) and driven for a living for a while, while
studying for my accountancy exams, so don't give me (daughter of a
mum who drove 8 wheel ambulances in the WAAF during the war) that
women aren't interested in motors. It's just that guys have this way
of excluding women and keeping the good stuff to themselves. Reading
this sort of guff isn't going to encourage us either.
Stinga said "Bottom line is 'I don't know'!", well you got that right.

> and actually why would they, you only get 15 years and that's
> it, to old to work after late 30's, everyone knows people older than
> late 30's their brains turn to mush... look at managers :-)

As an accounts manager of 25 years standing and now a 61 year old
retiree,  I feel you've now hit the jackpot. Are you really trying to
alienate your whole audience? Today, I read some emails over
breakfast, read a bit of my online readers' Group read , "War and
Peace", drove to the Acorn Centre, played badminton for two hours,
came home had lunch, read over some notes for my Geology meeting on
Saturday, practised my bassoon for 45 minutes, went to the Library's
readers group and shared in a discussion of Hemingway's "Old Man and
the Sea"- not bad for a mush-minded old biddy. What did you today?

Glad to have got this off my chest. Rant over. I'm sorry to have been
so angry, but I am very disappointed that this is the level of
discussion here. I expected a more intelligent approach from the
membership to Viv's post
In sorrow,
Clare