Re: [LUG] Linux in Schools/Colleges/Unis - was: Why are there so few women in our LUG - does this indicate there are few female Linux users ?

Quoting Neil Winchurst <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 22:51:06 +0000
> Benjamin A'Lee <bma+lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 07:11:48PM +0000, Paul Sutton wrote:
>> >

>> As I understand it, the situation is that *any* machine that can run
>> Windows needs to have a Windows licence, even if it doesn't run Windows.
>>
>> I assume this is because they believe every machine that can run Windows
>> will end up running Windows, because who would want to run anything
>> else? [1] Therefore, all the machines need a licence so that when the
>> "inevitable" happens they're properly licenced so people don't
>> accidentally commit piracy (the eighth deadly sin).
>>
>> [1] Replace "Windows" with "Debian", and you get my actual feelings on
>> the matter. :)
>>
> Well, well. I had my machine built for me by our local computer shop
> and I stipulated that I didn't want Windows, so they reduced the price
> by about £70 (as they didn't install Windows) and I have never paid for
> any licence of any sort. Why should I, since I have only ever had Linux
> running on it?
>
> But. obviously it *could* run Windows if I was ever stupid enough to
> install it. So are we (the people who built my machine and I)
> technically criminals?
>
> Neil Winchurst

Wasn't Paul talking about the stupid licensing that schools are locked into?

Microsoft keep releasing propaganda to system builders registered with
them saying that selling a PC without an operating system is wrong as
it's naked and a pirate copy of Windows could be installed on them.
Really I think the OFT need to put their foot down and say that the
people should get a choice.

Rob