[LUG] Why are there so few women in our LUG - does this indicate there are few female Linux users ?

I know that this may bring forth some contraversial comments but, am
genuinely interested in what people think about this.

We don't seem to have very many female members - off hand, I can't think
of more than Clare, Gemma and myself (I apologise if I have missed
anyone). However, certainly we are in a significant minority.

I don't know if this is just our LUG or if this reflects the proportion
of female Linux users overall.

Members (male ones) have often commented that they find it difficult to
get their partners to migrate over to Linux. Is there something about
Linux that makes it "female unfriendly ? If there is, I don't know what
it is ? I have seen some comments on other forums that this is because
you need to be intelligent to use Linux obviously treat these sort of
comments with the contempt that they deserve.

We would all like to see more and more people use Linux and drop Windows
(I assume this is a majority view, anyway ?). But, if women are saying
"no to Linux", this will keep Windows as the dominant OS for some time
to come.

I think Linux is far superior to anything other OS I have tried and feel
a bit frustrated that more people are not giving it a try.

What are your thoughts ?
--
regards

viv