Re: [LUG] Why are there so few women in our LUG - does this indicate there are few female Linux users ?

On 18 Jan 2008, at 12:06, james kilty wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 08:27 +0000, Clare Shepherd wrote:
>> When I was at school I wanted to go into engineering,
>> not only was my grammar school headmistress (yes, it was that long
>> ago) horrified but also my Scots father, who came from a large
>> family  and his brothers were mostly engineers, as were several
>> earlier generations. he thought it" no a suitable job for a lassie".
>> As this was the 60s, and pre-women's lib.,
> Noeline was the first ever woman engineering student at IC in my
> year 1955.
> I forget her second name. She was on her own for one year I think,
> then there
> was a second.
>
> I think there were a couple of women in my Physics group, and one
> went on to
> become a Professor of Physics at Surry Uni. Alas she died of cancer
> some years ago.
> --
> james kilty
> http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk

i don't thin that news of this had reached Exeter by then. My
headmistress thought that all "nice' young ladies should wear white
gloves and an hat, in summer and that your brain was just an aid in
getting a nice young man. Thank God I didn't like "nice " young men,
just clever ones. Then my Dad went and cleared off so it was off to
train in accountancy, rather than Uni.

Clare