Re: [LUG] permissions and potential new user

james kilty wrote:

> Unless you can suggest a command line approach to changing the
> permissions using sudo. Then perhaps I can upgrade via the standard
> ubuntu method.

As I said before the trick is for users to be in group "cdrom", then the
permissions 660 root cdrom should be more than sufficient.

Is this user in group "cdrom"? If not, add them, and logout and in again
(so that the Window manager picks up the new group membership settings).

GNOME on Debian, and Ubuntu, has a very simple GUI interface for user
management, although it looks like Debian Unstable has uninstalled it
from my PC (sigh - I'm getting too old for life in unstable). I think it
was called "User Management" or something equally obvious, and just
lists the standard Debian groups for thinks (cdrom, audio etc), and lets
you check a box to add remove a user to a group.

Then again if it worked before, it seems unlikely the user was removed
from group cdrom.

The command "id" will show group membership and other information at the
command line.

$ id
uid=1000(srw) gid=1000(srw)
groups=4(adm),24(cdrom),25(floppy),26(tape),29(audio),44(video),106(scanner),114(plugdev),118(lpadmin),1000(srw)

Here you see I am logged in as "srw" with UID 1000, in primary group
"srw" (gid 1000), and in the "cdrom" group (amongst others).

If not in the group "cdrom", and the gui thing fails, one would user
"usermod" with "-a" and "-G cdrom" arguments. But I hate "usermod" and
friends, they are a great way of messing up your settings because you
got one argument wrong (the down side of the command line power).