Re: [LUG] getgnulinux.org

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 17:32:43 +0100
"Robin Menneer" <robinmenneer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> To me as a newbie, open source seems to be genuinely free and
> alturistic, free software often finishes up to be an unsatisfactory
> demo.

Just be cautious there - free software has nothing to do with shareware
and it isn't about incomplete demos. Most of Ubuntu is free software.

All free software is open source - not all open source is free software.

Many people, like Aaron, use the term FL/OSS - Free libre / open source
software - to indicate the overlaps.

Feel free to ask or take a look at the Debian homepage which explains
terms like free software.

> I joined Ubuntu for a friendly desktop  and access to
> amicable support like this list :) and a range of software that that
> I could load with ease, not needing the cammand line, and costing me
> nothing.  In return I'm happy to contribute my tuppence worth.

Free as in freedom to modify and share with others - don't be surprised
to find people paying real money for free software or related services
- there's nothing wrong with this or charging for CD's with only free
software on them.

--

Neil Williams