[LUG] getgnulinux.org

Hi folks,

Apologies if this has already been posted, but I noticed this on the
Ubuntu-UK mailing list and I thought it might be of interest...

Rob

---

I for one would think, and I'm sure many would agree with me, that the
http://linux.org website is rather ugly in design, and not welcoming
or terribly explanatory to linux newcomers.

http://www.getgnulinux.org is designed to change this. It explains
what Linux is on a level that even non-tech types could understand and
also why and how they would switch. It is a perfect site for someone
who knows nothing about Linux at all.

It also hopes to become a part of a promotional campaign, similar to
the SpreadFirefox one. There are already banners available to link to
the site with a very clear and simple message - Get GNU/Linux.

As you may be able to tell from the name, the sites creator agrees
with the FSF's naming suggestion, but the site does not aim to force
this upon the rest of the community, and in fact uses the term Linux
itself, in order to make the site more understandable for its
audience.

The website is run by an organisation, GNU/Linux Matters, which is
soon to become an non-profit organisation in France.

The site also has a community on the nuxified.org forums, which I am a
member of, but I am not the site's creator. By posting this I do not
want to appear a spammer. I simply want to make the ubuntu-uk
community aware of this site, and would love to hear your opinions. Do
you think this site is a good alternative to Linux.org, as a portal
for the Linux community as a whole? Would you be interested in the
idea of a Linux advocacy campaign, and would you consider putting a
getGnu/Linux button on your own website/blog.

Finally, the non-profit organisation plans to have "ambassadors" and
"embassies" in other countries, to promote Linux on a country specific
basis. Is anyone interested setting up one for the UK?

I would greatly appreciate it if you could forward this message on to
people who are not subscribed to this mailing list, for example to the
various UK LUGs.

Regards,
Ben Webb (Ubuntu user and GetGNU/Linux.Org campaigner)