Re: [LUG] getgnulinux.org

On 3/26/07, Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have to agree with Tom here,   I am trying to encourage new users to
> switch to Linux and free software,  join the lug and chatrooms etc,
> however feel that arguments regarding distro based on how much free
> software is actually in there,  is not helpful,  At the end of the day a
> user wants a working system, if the solution is to use non free drivers
> then so be it,   we just explain the difference,  and campaign to get
> more free drivers.

I agree with this, if you have to use non free then do so. If you have
a choice then use free. But where you can make a difference if if you
have to use non free then campaign to get free. Write a *polite* email
to the manufacture, help with any projects working on a free driver
for your device (even testing and documentation updates are helpful).
Most devices get a free driver in the end.

At least for the manufactures who do now support linux with non free
drivers its a start, at least they recognise linux and have started to
make an effort. It might not be as far as we want them to go but some
more encouragement and help and many are making the full transition to
free.

Take the ralink drivers these started as non free linux drivers
(binary only), we and many others worked with them. They released the
source (still non free) and began to realise that people began to help
with the code. Eventually they went all the way and released the code
GPL, now the drivers are appearing in distros everywhere and are
increasing well supported.

What the answer to firmware is i don't know.

--
Robin Cornelius
http://www.byteme.org.uk