Re: [LUG] getgnulinux.org

On 3/26/07, Aaron Trevena <aaron.trevena@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 26/03/07, Matt Lee <mattl@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Aaron Trevena wrote:
>
> > You seem to be trying to.
>
> Not at all. People will run whatever they like. It is not the
> point of free software groups or distributions to promote or
> distribute non-free softare.

Sorry - who are you to say what the point of this group is - do you
host it, did you help start it, have you organised any meetings or
helped any users because it doesn't look like it to me.

> > Linux was what it was called when I first started using it, because
> > Linus created a basic operating system and bundled it with GNU stuff
> > to make it useful.
>
> Um, no... we're a GNU/Linux users group. What's so hard to
> understand there?

Sorry - I started a LUG with Alex way back, this is that LUG, just
because the name was changed to appease the zealots - the FSF is there
to promote free software - we're here to allow linux and fl/oss users
to talk about stuff, solve their problems and share software,
knowledge and experience.

> > Open Source is descriptive and easier to understand than Free Software
> > and has less political connotations - for some reason rabid zealotry
> > can put people off.
>
> Most people know what software is compared to source code.

But they don't know what 'Free' means, especially in the context of Software.

A.

--
http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk

To me as a newbie, open source seems to be genuinely free and alturistic, free software often finishes up to be an unsatisfactory demo.  I joined Ubuntu for a friendly desktop  and access to  amicable support like this list :) and a range of software that that I could load with ease, not needing the cammand line, and costing me nothing.  In return I'm happy to contribute my tuppence worth.