Re: [LUG] Switching to Debian

Tony Sumner wrote:

> It is a bit of a mystery; the instructions in
>     http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/realplayer.htm
> are quite explicit but they don't have the right effect. Are you sure
> they apply even if I have a 64-bit kernel? I looked for 'no
> installation candidate' in google and there are dozens of posts saying
> 'what's this about?  I know it is there' and similar.

I'd use "apt-cache show realplayer" which I think shows it if it is in
the resources collected by "apt-get update".

No I'm not sure if works with a 64bit kernel, but you ought to be able
to get it to tell you the dependencies of the package, and thus explain
why it doesn't want to install (if it is kernel specific).

> I hadn't heard of mozplugger; I'll have a look at that. There is still
> the matter of sound quality with mplayer though; I tried the option
> autoq 100 but it was still awful. So unless I can fix that I'd prefer
> to fire up Windows and listen that way.

No expert on Linux audio. But never had an mplayer specific sound
quality issue, not that I use mplayer much. Is sounds quality okay with
other apps? Does audio mixing work (i.e. multiple apps are playing
nicely with each other, and you can hear them all at once)?

Also what hardware/sound card, in case there are known issues?

 Simon