Re: [LUG] Lets try this at home?

Sounds a good idea,  I have already created a cd with the following on

mozilla thunderbird, firefox, sunbird
openoffice. 2.1
xchat 2.1
putty
et
and alien arena.

problem is convincing someone to:

a) fund this, so we can get the resources e.g cds or cd keys
b) help provide support
c) accept there are alternatives to MS software, I think the point here
is if we can give people the tools on windows, once they are used to
them and see the quality of OSS, then moving over to Linux will not be
as much of a problem because the software is already established, on Linux.

btw tried out putty,  it rocks, :)

Just a thought looking at windows vista home edition on
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_38572665_1/202-8439726-3534219?ie=UTF8&docId=1000041733

what does a Linux distro have in the way of parental controls,   ?
there has to be a way of incorporating a proxy or filtering system into
the install that can be enabled at account creation,  by simply ticking
a box,  or going to a tab and ticking a few boxes, to filter out certain
sites e.g www.microsoft.com LOL, well seriously other sites.

I think this is a big selling point for familes,   I can however see MS
getting into a bit of trouble over this,  anti spam,  parental
controls,  does somewhat lock out third party products,  so hopefully
they will end up back in court over anti competative practices.

anyone up for contacting the OFT to point this out.

Paul