Re: [LUG] Switching to Debian

On Feb 05, 2007, Simon Waters was like:

> Likely you didn't run "apt-get update" after altering the sources.list

I did do that. Here is the whole script

  bridget:/home/solon# apt-get install realplayer
  Reading package lists... 0%
  Reading package lists... 100%
  Reading package lists... Done
  Building dependency tree... 0%
  Building dependency tree... 50%
  Building dependency tree... Done
  Package realplayer is not available, but is referred to by another package.
  is only available from another source
  E: Package realplayer has no installation candidate
  bridget:/home/solon#
  Script done on Tue 06 Feb 2007 09:01:42 GMT

It is a bit of a mystery; the instructions in
    http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/realplayer.htm
are quite explicit but they don't have the right effect. Are you sure
they apply even if I have a 64-bit kernel? I looked for 'no
installation candidate' in google and there are dozens of posts saying
'what's this about?  I know it is there' and similar.

I hadn't heard of mozplugger; I'll have a look at that. There is still
the matter of sound quality with mplayer though; I tried the option
autoq 100 but it was still awful. So unless I can fix that I'd prefer
to fire up Windows and listen that way.

Tony Sumner